Here is a typical day on maternity, I will start the day at midnight - as everyone know timing with a baby can be unpredictable!

Last feed. All is calm in the house, everyone feeling a little tired, but generally positive, and hoping for a full night's sleep.

Baby is stirring, of course I'm awake. I'm laying in bed wondering if she is going to drop back off, or wake up...

Baby has woken up. I stumble out of bed to the Tommee Tippee machine (we have it set up in the bedroom - top tip for bottle feeding mamas) and make her a bottle. Bottle is given to her, and she drifts back off whilst I'm holding her. Back into her crib and she starts snuffling - LOUDLY. Every two mins I'm checking on her to see if she has sicked up over herself...she hasn't - just a noisy sleeper.

At this point I'm wide awake - thinking of all sorts of things that only come to you in the middle of the night, money, the thank you cards that I haven't posted that are still sat on the dresser, that my car needs booking in for a service, the list goes on! I eventually drift of as well.

The alarm goes off for my boyfriend to go to work. Another bottle for the baby, she gets into bed with me. This is my favourite time of the day, we have a little snooze and cuddle together and then get up for the day.

The baby is ready, I've been washing, washing bottles and stripping beds. I'm half ready (story of my life!) I have make up one (well mascara and eyebrows) and my hair is still in a messy bun. I've got jeans and a jumper. No jewellery, no accessories, but hey - I'm still half way there.

How is is 1200 already? I've not even done anything, and now we need to leave for Baby Sensory. 

I've forgotten to make the bottles, best get those done and rush out of the door. I'm flustered and trying to get their on time. I set off and realise I've forgotten the wheels for the pram. Doesn't matter I'll carry the car seat. 

I've still not finished getting ready - the illusions of looking well put together at baby class are out of the window, I've dry shampooed my hair and tied it up. I guess I've made half an effort. 

If someone would have said I would have done that to my hair 6 months ago, I just wouldn't have believed them. I used to spend a minimum of 20 minutes per day getting my hair into beachy waves...not so much anymore. I'm disappointed in myself!

Home from Baby Sensory and ready for another bottle. I've realised I haven't eaten anything today, I eat with one hand whilst feeding my baby. I'm knackered. I'll sit down for a minute. I wake up three hours later and the baby is crying for another bottle.

Another bottle done, and the baby is napping, so I whirl round the house trying to get some kind of order, putting washing away, doing some more, get dinner on, sterilise some more bottles and sort our lives...

The boyfriend is home, we have dinner together, and he gets to spend time with the baby before we battle bath time and do the whole thing again tomorrow...

I never finished getting ready, I never finished the washing, and I had 1.5 meals in a day... but I did get the cutest smile when putting the baby to bed - so it just makes it all worth it.


Popular Posts